Published on May 17, 2020
It’s week two of the One Room Challenge and the only news I have to report is that Noelle’s built-ins are built. But that’s old news really. They’ve been built since November…I just haven’t shown them. So, since this progress would have been made during week two of the original ORC, I figured sharing it this week would be sufficient.
I’ve been so focused on finishing Hannah’s room that my lack of progress in Noelle’s room doesn’t surprise me. I plan to get a lot done this week though, so I’ll have a fun update for you in next week’s post.
How the Built-Ins Were Built
Back in November, when my aunt and uncle were visiting from out of town, my uncle wanted a project. So, I gave him my idea for Noelle’s built-ins and he ran with it. However, it was Thanksgiving, so I was on dinner duty instead of running-to-Lowes-for-lumber duty. This did not bode well for the choice of wood used in the construction of the built-ins.
Jeff went with my uncle to get the wood and it just wasn’t what I would have chosen. It’s full of knots and not paint grade. It’s okay though because I’ve come up with a simple way to line the interior of each shelf with super thin but smooth plywood. This way I can easily paint the built-ins.
I haven’t permanently attached the plywood to the interior of the first shelf yet because I’m using it as a template for all the other cuts. My plan is to glue it and use tiny brad nails to secure it. I wanted to give you a vision for how I’m solving the problem of low grade building wood though.
Built-In Paint Color
Noelle and I have had a lot of conversations about what color to paint these built-ins, and we’ve landed on a custom-mixed blue. It is a muted but happy blue that should (fingers crossed) be soothing and stimulating at the same time. Also, I’m giving a pretty big hint at an element I’m including in the built-in design in the picture below. I’m so excited and Noelle has no idea!
I was planning to build cabinet doors for the bottom shelf portions on either side, but I’ve come up with a plan that will be easier and unique. It usually takes me awhile to work things out in my head, and even longer to execute them. Let’s pray that six more weeks is enough time for me to implement my idea!
That’s all for this week…exciting, I know. But hopefully this post has given you a look at the progress we made in preparation for this challenge. At the time, I had no idea I’d enter the ORC to do Noelle’s room. I’m so glad I did though.
And I’m so glad these dang built-ins are built because there’s no way I’d fit that and everything else I have to do into even eight weeks.
Okay, on to week 3!